Saturday 27 April 2013

Blogging About Decisions

Blogging is a great way to share ideas, experiences, and lessons learnt with a wide audience. It can also be a valuable tool to assist in making better decisions.



My decision to start a blog is an extension of my interest in sharing stories. 15 years ago I learned html and put together a simple website to share what I was up to with the world. Now we have facebook, twitter etc etc but I don’t learn much about the real issues from stories in these types of media.

A personal web log or “blog” gives a deeper level of reflection, analysis and direction. I like how there is a clear intention to take the reader on a journey, and package an issue or opinion within the context of the wider community.

As an active member of Toastmasters I can see strong parallels between blogging and public speaking, with good potential for each platform to compliment the other. Carol McCulloch, fromAlbury Wodonga Toastmasters [1] is a particular inspiration for my interest in starting a blog. As an educator she is pursuing the potential for blogs, YouTube, wikis, online forums and other collaboration software to build capacity for online learning. Living in a rural area is a particular motivation for me to explore online tools for networking and learning.

Over the Xmas break I read the career advice from Richard N. Bolles perennial classic [2] which encourages job seekers to write a blog. From a career perspective it can showcase a level of expertise in a particular field of endeavour. What really connected with me when reading his book is a common pursuit for competence in life, and that working with others to learn from mistakes is the surest way to build it up.

Some other reasons why I want to start a blog include:
  • Having a better online presence
  • Reflecting on what I have done
  • Sharing advice with others
  • Seeing other friends start their own blog [3]
  • Practice different writing skills
  • Being accountable to keep a public journal of activities
  • Seeing a friend publish a book based on her blog [4]
  • Putting together more comprehensive arguments
  • Meeting new people with similar interests, and possibly dissimilar ones
  • I can say I have a blog
  • Possibly contributing to other blogs I enjoy [5, 6]
  • Getting feedback on my opinions
  • Gaining others perspectives on life and decision making

Well, here we go, I hope it works out. There no promises on how often I will post articles but I am keen to at least make a start.

Have you started a blog? How did it go, and do you have any tips? Any suggestions on topics are also welcome.

References:

[2] Richard N. Bolles “What Colour is Your Parachute” http://www.jobhuntersbible.com/

[3] +Amber Weightman “Cyberspace Tech Diary Place”http://cyberspacetechdiaryplace.blogspot.com.au/

[4] Carmel McCartin “The Budget Bitch” http://www.budgetbitch.com.au/budget-blog


[6] Brian Green http://www.briangreen.net/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome, politeness is expected, creative feedback is greatly appreciated!